Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Woody Ping Pong


I read an interview with Woody Allen in the NY Times this morning and it made me feel pretty old. (Just for the record I am nearly twenty years younger than Woody, but, nevertheless, he was an important part of my youth.) I went through high school, college and my Twenties religiously devoted to his movies. I knew many of the lines by heart. They were the philosophy of my life. (“I love the rain…it washes memories off the sidewalk of life.” “Sun is bad for you. Everything our parents said was good is bad. Sun, milk, red meat... college.”) In college, I was so known for my love of Woody that someone hung his poster on my door with an invitation to run away with him. Woody was my muse, my friend and could always make me laugh (at myself, at him, at life). As I entered my Thirties, Woody became less funny and less interesting. His movies became darker and the revelation of his “grossly inappropriate” relationship with his companion’s daughter in 1992 really sealed the deal. We had gone our separate ways.

Reading about Woody today also made me feel kind of young… Last year, my 22-year-old son discovered Woody Allen. He is a real film buff and he loves to pass on his “discoveries” to his friends and to his family. He watched every Woody Allen movie ever made and he loved most of them. He liked some of the darker ones more than the early slapstick (which are still my favorites), but we watched quite a few of them together. I didn’t like “Vicky Christina Barcelona” and he didn’t love “Play It Again Sam.” We didn’t always laugh (or cry) at the same things, but we enjoyed them together.

-Robin Albing
Founder, Albing International Marketing

At AIM, we call this kind of shared experience between Boomer parents and Millennial offspring “PING PONG-ing.” One generation’s cast offs, re-discovered by the younger generation and re-introduced back to original discoverer. Do you have any “ping pong” experiences you’d like to share with us?

3 comments:

  1. my folks and i have very different tastes and preferences. for example, i love Monty Python and Mel Brooks. my parents? they didn't really watch Mel Brooks movies "back in their day". it wasn't until i "discovered" Mel Brooks (through his newer movies) and took an interest in his older, classic stuff that they started watching his movies with me. i'll never forget my mom and i, watching History of the World Part I together, for the first time for both of us. she had gone to the bathroom at the point in the ancient Roman segment involving the giant joint...i backed it up so we could watch it together, and we both laughed and laughed! and then my folks never "got" Monty Python. not then, not now. in fact, one day a couple of years ago i was talking about how much i'd like to be able to go see Spamalot, which my mom knew a bit about from the news and from me. she responded that "I might want to see it if they ever make a movie out of it." i couldn't decide whether to laugh or to cry.

    but there is one thing that my dad and i can agree on...The Muppet Show. gotta love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hanging out with my parents. Both are unique characters that have shaped many aspects of my colorful (as my husband puts it) life. However, I think the true ping-pong in my life comes from my grandmothers and involves yarn and cooking. My great-grandmother taught me to crochet many years ago, and it is something that both she and my grandmother and I can talk about (on the phone as we're in different states) for hours - I kid you not! New patterns, new yarn, anything.
    As a stay at home mom I'm constantly trying out new recipes and I frequently call upon both of them for their advice and interpretations of what exactly Martha and Betty are talking about. It's nice to hear them reminisce about favorite recipes and crazy concoctions we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get variouslishou vibrant procedures pertaining to lishou slimming capsuleoccasion going within the stairways, stay away from require, walk in the course of advert wrecks associated with lishou diet pillsour treasured products plus avoid conversing working with autos with abbreviation kms fruta plantawhich you could continue on shoes.

    ReplyDelete